Covered Bridges in Northeast Georgia
Covered bridges are not always easy to find when you’re travelling through the beautiful mountains and valleys of Northeast Georgia, some of them are tucked away in remote locations and some of them are sadly long since gone. At one time, Georgia had more than 200 covered bridges and today there are less than twenty remaining.
The few that are left are scattered throughout many Northeast Georgia counties. In the Sautee Nacoochee area Stovall Mill Covered Bridge has been well preserved. The bridge (no longer in use) spans Chickamauga Creek and was built in 1895 by Will Pardue. At one time there were mills on Chickamauga Creek owned and operated by Fred Stovall, Sr. These mills are long gone but the covered bridge, named after Mr Stovall is a living reminder of the history of the people and places of the area.
To visit Stovall Mill Covered Bridge head north from Sautee on Hwy 255.
Prather Bridge covered bridge is sadly gone and all that remains are the rock pillars. Prather Bridge spanned the Tugaloo River between Stephens County Georgia and Oconee County South Carolina. The photo of the bridge in this article was the fourth bridge constructed at this location by the Prather family.
The Prather family built the first bridge in 1804 but it washed away and was replaced in 1850. The fate of the second bridge has varying stories, one being that it also washed away, but another story tells that the bridge was burned in 1863 during the civil war. This bridge was replaced in 1868 and lasted until 1920 when it too was washed away. The final bridge was destroyed by fire in 1978.
Watson Mill Bridge has been described as one of the most picturesque state parks in Georgia, Watson Mill Bridge has the longest covered bridge in the state, spanning 229 feet across the South Fork River. Built in 1885 by Washington (W.W.) King and famous covered-bridge builder Horace King. Watson Mill Bridge State Park is located northeast of Athens near Comer, Georgia in Madison County.