. Exploring Northeast Georgia
Georgia’s Newest State Historic Site.
By Kitty Stratton
Hardman Farm is the newest jewel in the crown of Georgia’s State Historic Sites. The Hardman House sits in the beautiful Nacoochee Valley with a view of the area’s well known gazebo atop an ancient mound. This area is ripe with history and one of Northeast Georgia’s most beautiful landscapes. The mountains in this area are some of the oldest in the world.
The gazebo atop the Indian Mound was built by the first owner, Captain James Nichols. The mound was excavated in 1915 and there was evidence of approximately seventy burials. The artifacts that were found are on loan to the Smithsonian Institution. It is probable that the mound predates the Cherokees and dates back to the mound builders. One piece of pottery from the valley floor is on display at the Pottery Museum in Sautee.
The Hardman House is amazing in that it has been lovingly preserved for over one hundred years without much change to the original structure. The Italianate style house was built in 1870 by Captain James Nichols, who lived in Milledgeville with his wife and family. The family suffered during the civil war and Captain Nichols, a civil war veteran, recovering from malaria needed a quiet and peaceful place for his family to rest and recuperate. The beautiful waterfall near Unicoi State Park, Anna Ruby Falls was named after Captain Nichols only daughter Anna Ruby. She and her father rode horses over their large estate and enjoyed rides to the Anna Ruby Falls area.
The second family to own the house were the Hunnicutts who lived there during the summers from 1893 to 1903. Dr Lamartine Griffin Hardman was the third owner of the Hardman House and owned it from 1903 to 1999 at which time the family donated the house, farm and land, including the Indian Mound to the Georgia State Parks system. Dr Hardman had been Governor of Georgia from 1927-1931 and spent many summers with his family at their beloved Nacoochee Valley home.
The tour includes a look at many of the original outbuildings including the separate outdoor kitchen building, servant’s quarters, a spring house, carriage house and the large barn that housed the Nacoochee Dairy operation from 1910 until the mid-1920s. Visitors will learn how the milk was processed and transported from the Nacoochee railway station.
The Hardman House and outbuildings are open to the public four days a week on Thursdays through Sundays with tours currently at 10am, 12.30pm and 3pm. The tour lasts for one and a half hours and includes an extensive history of the house including the many outbuildings. The Indian Mound is not available for tours. Reservations for guided tours of the house and outbuildings are recommended. Visitors must be accompanied by park staff when inside buildings. Group reservations are required and can be made by calling 706 878 1077.
Ticket prices are $12 for adults, $10 for seniors (62 and older), children 6-17 $7.00 and younger than 6 is $3.00. Entrance to the property is off of Hwy 75 coming into Helen on the right just past the intersection of Hwy 17 and Hwy 75. The visitor’s center is in the red brick building when you first turn in at the property.
More information about Hardman Farm and scheduled events can be viewed at the following website, http://gastateparks.org/HardmanFarm